Making the most effective use of "green" computing resources and establishing a follow the sun/wind computing environment are challenging tasks. There are many research questions that still need to be answered to understand the capabilities of technologies, the requirements of services and approaches that should be taken. As part of the GSN project we are investigating some of these research questions. In the box to the right are a list of research topics that we are exploring. Work that we have done to address some of these topics so far is highlighted below.
- Resource Modeling and Discovery
- What information about the "greenness" and energy use of resources needs to be provided and how can this best be modeled?
- How can this information be used to automate management, scheduling and migration of virtual machines?
- Scheduling and Migration of Virtual Machines
- How can virtual machines be best scheduled and migrated to different resources based on the carbon footprint and energy consumption of those resources?
- Quality of ervice
- How can quality of service for virtual machines with different requirements be achieved?
- How can quality of service information be specified/modeled?
- How can applications be characterized to determine when or if they should be migrated and whether or not they need to be hosted at reliable data centres?
- Power Measurement and Management
- How do different components of a data centre consume power?
- How can data centres be scaled up/down in the most efficient manner?
- How does data centre power consumption correlate to carbon emissions resulting from that power use?
- How can battery life be predicted under different ICT loads and with weather-dependent charging duty cycle?
- What is the effect of large round trip time when booting virtual machines off a central shared server and how does it vary for different storage protocols?
- What are the performance characteristics for live virtual machine migration over wide area networks?
- What techniques can be applied to reduce the time it takes to live migrate a virtual machine?
- Efficient Routing
- How can routing algorithms be extended to include GHG emissions and energy efficiency as factors in finding the best routes in the network in terms of energy consumption?
Last Updated on Monday, 01 August 2011 19:17